1. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Cities XXL Weird Issue with menu and uncontrollable movement

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by skullz613, Dec 21, 2016.

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have this weird issue that only happens with XXL that I can not pinpoint. It plagues me every now and then and sometimes will not go away for the whole day.
    What happens is that the top interface area with people stats is not showing and the game will automatically start movement in what ever direction the camera is facing when the game loads. Its as if a arrow key is stuck on my keyboard.
    Here's a screen of the last attempt of loading my city. Notice the green arrow next to the people icon.
    weird issue.png

The game had moved the camera at this stage to the corner.

I'm using a wireless Logitech Bluetooth keyboard but have no issues with it on any other game or program.
    XXL sometimes will load fine and the issue will not happen.
    If I try backing out of my city and load another one or even start a new one, the issue still persists.

I have uninstalled XXL and reinstalled.
    I have renamed the Cities XXL folder in appdata so XXL builds a new folder.
    I have tried deleting prototypesdb.bin
    I have cleared the shadercache
    I have taken out mods installed around the time this issue started (if it was a mod I would expect the issue to always happen)

There is no information in the log ether.

I'm at my wits end to the point I'm going to gut my laptop and reinstall windows 7.
    This issue did not happen in the last installation.
    I have all the drivers installed that were in the last installation. Only difference is that MS updates worked this time round and I'm up to date.
    All I can think at the moment is it's a keyboard driver issue. Logitech don't provide a driver for my keyboard and Windows installs one upon inserting the Bluetooth receiver.

I'm not to hopeful someone knows whats going on as it's pretty weird.

2. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

have a wireless logitech keyboard too and sometimes a key gets stuck (luckily only once every few months) so i didnt notice it while playing xl, but in other games i already did. i just turn it off and on again and everythings fine. if not try doing this several times, sometimes it doesnt work the first time.
    running on windows7 so its sth hardware or bluetooth related i think.
    anyway, u could still try to go to operating systems driver menu (dont know whats its original english name is^^) and uninstall and reinstall or try the update option + check if theres a known conflict for this device

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Mine has no switch. If I pull the USB receiver out and put it back in, the keyboard will not come back on. It never did this before so like you said it starting to sound like a driver issue. If I can't fix it by today I will make a start in backing up and getting ready to format. Dam pain as it takes a few days to get everything right again.

4. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

id try another keyboard first before formatting windows, if its hardware related theres a high chance the issue wont be solved
    driver stuff should be fixable without formatting anyway, so id prefer to not format.
    (however, i dont think thats cxl related. never heard about sth like this, caused by this indeed weird game, before)
    its probably just the bluetooth connection, so u could also try to place your reciever in "view distance" using an usb extension cable

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I was in Windows Device Manager yesterday and noticed four error entry's regarding Bluetooth. As Bluetooth was working I thought these had something to do with a iphone I setup for a friend the other day. After deleting them they came back.
    I just have been through HP's drivers and noticed one I had missed when archiving them on my external drive. Its a big one called Broadcom Bluetooth Software. Had some drivers in it as well. I've just installed it and all seems good in Windows Device Manager now.
    I'm hoping this will sort it out. I'll give XXL a go

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Seems to of fixed it. Will test XXL on and off during the day to make sure the issue has gone.
    Weird how it affected XXL but no other game.

Mr.X² likes this.
  7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Just when I was thinking of adding SOLVED to the thread title, it happened again. After working fine yesterday, this morning it's done it three times.
    I have noticed when it happens, it's like the game is waiting for something because the log stops adding entries at the same point every time.

EDIT: Just adding that if I restart Windows, the issue goes away. I used XXL late last night and finished up at 1:30am, and left the laptop running so there was no reboot before trying XXL this morning.