1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

"3d Trial Mods"

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Merrilkl Maddox, May 1, 2015.

1. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

OK, I tried it on my windows 7, and it crashed the game. The program would try and start and simply stop with an error screen. All I had installed is the fallowing;

Train Station - XLN_Mr.X2_NoerdlingenBahnhof_V1.2
    UIM, Dependency
    Furniture Pack, Dependency - XLN_ModdingTeam_Dependency_FurniturePack_v1.4
    Shader Pack, Dependency - XLN_Altiris&Monty_Shader_Pack_v2.0

And I just completely reinstalled the game on my windows 7 system. (Cities XL Platinum)

I did not have the dependencies loaded on my win 8 system, so I am going back to it, and load them so we can try again.

If that don't work, the mod has a bug.

2. Merrilkl Maddox

OK, with the dependencies loaded, the mod works just fine on my win 8 system, it just crashes my win 7, so I need to check and see if the UIM installed correctly, or something else may be wrong.

Here is n image of mr.X2's Mod. Working just fine!
    I probably would have been able to see mine as well, had I known there was any dependencies required. I figured possibly a shader pack.

cxl_screenshot_test city four_8.jpg

Well, I owe it another go then.

Back to the drawing board.

3. Merrilkl Maddox

Mr.X² and nicko2u,
    Well, I finally figured it out.
    Here are the images of my first mod, well, Mr.X²'s mod, I just copied it. But it is the first thing I've done as far as Cities XL is concerned.

Had a problem with this one. I went back into the class file, and reset the size. I had left the other alone just in case it had any effect. It does, you need to type in your buildings dimensions, well not so much as height, but width and length. I got it fixed.

cxl_screenshot_test city four_10.jpg

This is the test on water. Works just fine, yet still snaps to the road.

cxl_screenshot_test city four_14.jpg

Test on the self illumination texture. It's fare, but I still need to learn how to do those nightlights like Mr.X2 does, man he can make a building look gooood!

cxl_screenshot_test city four_11.jpg

Here is the back side. I still need to learn how to get semi transparent like in Mr.X2's roof. But that can come later, now I need to keep focusing on getting models into the game, positioning, and furniture.

cxl_screenshot_test city four_12.jpg

My people and furniture are gone, but that's ok, it is probably due to Mr.X2's furniture being separate from his model. It is most likely written into the class file somewhere for that.

Anyway guys, I finally got one done, with a lot of help from both of you. Thank you so much again, and especially for your patience with me. At times I can get pretty stressed, and that just makes me plain stupid.
    But at times like this, it makes it all good!! :toast:

4. Merrilkl Maddox

OK, So now I need to learn how to make a map. Going to that tutorial now.

5. Merrilkl Maddox

:yawn::sleep:

6. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Great to see you finally got it working. yeah there are many steps to creating a fine model.

Basically I would recommend any new modder do a very simple building for there first model (like a simple office building) - create a simple layout file, no custom furnitures etc.. It is usually the class file - custom tags that cause errors. Always make sure you add the correct naming of each lod, assign to correct shader (building) in most.

Finally when you have successfully added a model into game, go onto add more detailed modding features such as furnitures, animations, custom night lighting etc.

As for creating maps - that's a total different story. @The Funky Monk is the man to discuss that with :)

7. Merrilkl Maddox

I was getting ready to see if I could export a simple cube, I was really getting stressed. But then, when I want to learn something, I usually end up jumping in the deep end first. And now I can actually say, I have learned a great deal more from you guys by doing it the hard way, rather than taking the easy street.

Yes, I have already downloaded the free version of the "World Machine" and working with his videos. One plus, the world machine works with nodes, and that is what I am accustomed to using in Blender for texturing. I feel more comfortable with them, since nodes work more with sliders , and you can actually see the results as you are working with it. But being Cities XL, I'm sure it's going to get harder. :LOL:

Thanks

8. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

It is also great to see new modders like yourself still have the patience and wisdom to learn persist. It's not an easy thing to learn unless you really want to do it. Experience in graphics tools such as Photoshop/Gimp /MAX/blender etc. is must if you ask me. Learn those first I say to noobs :) not you buy the way :)

9. Merrilkl Maddox

I agree, I f you need to try and learn even the basics on 3ds Max, Blender, or even as simplified as Sketchup is, you will never be able to learn this at the same time.

I advise everyone that is new to modding, to choose the 3d and photo editing software first thing. Then after they get a grip on the program, give this a try.

2 very nice places for bothe of these is http://www.lynda.com/ and https://cgcookie.com/blender/ Both have great classes on modeling, texturing, and lighting. Sketchup is kind of a self taught tool since it is so simplified, but I'm sure they can find some tutorials on YouTube about it.

I have been modding in Trainz, and Rollercoaster Tycoon, for some time now. The modeling is pretty much the same, the tools are what makes things a bit complex, such as Trainz, they use the "Content Creator +" in the "Content manager", for mods. Not to mention they actually use USG DEMs, (Digital Elevation Models) to cerate the terrain on there maps. The one good thing about them is you can overlay a google map directly into the game with ease. But if you haven't used there tools before , they will give you nightmares.

RCT3 ( Rollercoaster Tycoon) is by far the easiest, Simple plug in for Scetchup, export to file, then use the RCT3 Importer to create the mod, and add to the game. And that's about it.

But this has really been a learning curve for me. I'm enjoying it though. Well, when it goes right after at least the third attempt. LOL

Thanks again, See ya on the mapping side. :)

10. Merrilkl Maddox

Well, one thing for those of us that are new to this, don't do what I did!! Keep it simple!! Also, find a nice model in game, and make something similar to that. Believe me, it will make your life a whole lot easier. The model I did, fallowing the tutorial, was a train station, I think there is only one in game train station, and one that belongs to Mr.X2, and that is what he used for the tutorial. So, I had very little to choose from when it came to finding a class template.

Right now I am learning to create maps for the city I want to build.
    Now that I have a heads up on getting these models into CXL, I think I am going to end this thread here.

I am going to start a new thread, Titles "Atlanta" or "Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport"

And here I go again, Not listening to my own advice, and going way over my head with an airport that will take up over half a map, 3.5 miles east to west. :ROFLMAO:

Can't be done. :LOL:

11. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

any news from you maddox or have you just been blowing wind in but holes?

12. Merrilkl Maddox

No news as of right now for CXL.

Remodeling my house. Had new carpet and tile put through my entire house, as well as all new furniture.

Get this, I ordered a dinette set that got shipped out all smashed up, then the next one they sent me was even worse. Then to beat it all, the section of my house with laminate is coming up, not to mention, the recliner they sent me has a bent mechanism, and don't recline. Then the tile guys stripped the water supply line to my washing machine.

So I have basically had a week from #&%#. I'm just now getting my PC hooked back up, and still have about 2 days work to do to get my home back in shape.

But I ain't giving up on the mods, I just have a few more important issues to handle first. Like all these wires going everywhere :confused:, 3 more PCs to hook up, all my surround sound, and then I get to go start on my den....:(
    But as Schwarzenegger says, "I'll be bock"!!! :)

Oh, and by the way, I'd be checkin them but holes. They must be gettin pretty loose for wind to be blowin through them. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for checking in,:) I will be back soon as I can.

Merrill