1. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Bob's Projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by bobqwerty, Sep 10, 2014.

1. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Those look very nice. BTW I think that the poly count doesn't (sort of) matter, it's the triangle count.
    If those 'nets' behind the goals are multiple objects (polys), just delete them... You can get the same effect using an opacity map on a single flat polygon. Also when you finish the modeling, you can delete 3 out of 4 of those light polls before you start UV mapping since they will all have the same textures and then just clone them when you finish the mapping. That way you save a lot of time and map space. You can do that with any other objects that are the same (columns, support beams, or anything other that is repetitive).

bobqwerty likes this.
  2. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Everything about LODs. I've seen some videos but I would like to know more about the problems I will encounter before proceeding. The whole process... Should I group everything then ungroup later in order to delete part of the metal structure inside that indoor soccer field, do it piece by piece, etc. I don't want to do unecessary work. Then, render to texture LOD1 to LOD4, that's a pain to me, etc.

Most of these are low poly models, but some unfinished models have as much as 1200 polys (like the first one). Sometimes it's more difficult to go from LOD1 to LOD3 or 4. The pillars in the indoor soccer field for example.. Is it easier to recreate them using boxes instead of trying to reduce their complexity?

tks for the tip Gbojanic

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

if you are finished with one lod, group all of the single objects by using the "attach" option, then name it reffering to the naming-convention guide.
    If you start with doing l3: texture l3 completely and then add more and more details
    if you start with doing l1: texture l1 completely and remove more and more details.. logically^^
    i guess you started with l1..?

ok, at first display the trianlge count, thats the one that matters
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

then select your grouped l1, click on "select and move", hold the "shift key" and drag your object to the left or right. a window pops up, select "clone" and name it reffering to the naming-convention-guide (l2)
    now start deleting details and/or merging faces.
    in your case that could be the net of the goals or fences (btw. id strongly recommend gbojanics suggestion!), remove the stairs of the terrace and make it flat, delete the metal-structure under the roof, remove small and tiny faces you cannot see from the distance anyway (its hard to tell, just can see a "tiny" picture of your model, no details) (those are just examples!)
    always keep an eye @ the triangle count of l2, if you reached the number of triangles (or nearly) do the same procedure for l3

ok, thats not a tutorial, but i hope i could give you an idea of the process anyway :)

creating l4 is quite easy: just create the main objects like the field, the terrace and floodlights (masts only) as simple as possible (boxes or such). dont split them into smaller faces. keep in mind you wont see any details from that distance anyway.
    if you are done use montys l4-projection-baking video tutorial (not sure if its already up here on the new site) for the dif and ill map. done :)
    for future projects i recommend to start with a very simple shaped l4, copy it and then create l3 or l1 (depends on your personal preferences) out of that copy

when removing details always keep the in-game perspective from the distance in mind, and imagine what you could see and what not.
    another hint: aitortilla01 's sketchup tutorial also includes a very small lod-tutorial, you might have a look at it.
    if you need further information or screenshots just let us know (im sure the pro modders here have some more concrete tipps :) ) or join the chat^^
    well, i hope i could at least help a little bit and give you a roughly idea

edit: yes, sometimes its easier to recreate objects with simple boxes instead of reducing details or merging faces...

bobqwerty likes this.
  4. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

Keep going Bob .... the game needs these mods :cool:

5. Miguel

Miguel Governor

Very nice projects, mate. Keep it up. (y)

6. Steven H. Endermann

I have never had to unlock T4 buildings, and I always place a few per map. Do I have some sort of glitch?

7. Radiant Dawn

Radiant Dawn Elite

This is all looking great!

8. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

It's time for an update!

I've finished my grade, now I have time to spare (too much time). I've been working on geometry and enhancing some textures since new year's eve. Managed to reduce the complexity of those Sport building, their L1 are now under 2,5K and 4K polys/triangles. Now that I have Nvidia plugin working in Photoshop I've done Normal(bump) maps.

I have uploaded the image below bacause I have a couple of questions. Will it slow down performance if I create Normal(bump) maps for every L1 texture? Do they look OK to you? (are they too deep?) :D Regarding the Layout Creator, it must have a plug and a junction related to that plug, right?

Do you think I should make it 20x40 rather than 40x20?

16020564350_688c5d4a2b_o.png

kipate and Mr.X² like this.
  9. metrocity345

metrocity345 Elite

That looks nice. What kind of building is it?

10. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

It's the first building from page 1, T1 Office. In real life it's an educational building.

11. Steven H. Endermann

Both variants are fine (20x40 and 40x20). Either way, that is a cool looking building.

12. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Looks really nice(y) Honestly (or not) I think you should rather make 20x40.
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

13. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I think bump map has it own slot....You don't need to "bump" all textures other then bump map

14. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

what you mean by saying that? "for every l1 texture"? you only need one normal map.
    looking perfect to me (y)
    exactly. one plug, two junctions and one track, use the parameters as sayd in the layout-file instructions :)

and all in one: great work :drool:

15. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I guess 20x40 would fit better with other buildings? though it really depends on if it has front door textures/access etc on that side so it looks correct. If not who cares just leave it the way it is?

As for bump map you really only need to make one - just like your diffuse map where you have one map for lod 1,2,3.

Did you add it you model already, can't really tell to me it just looks blue :) though im sure it looks or adds some extra details.

Lod 4 does not need a bp map only diffuse, Ill maps 256x256

16. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

I've just assigned Normal/bump map to the diffuse map slot to show you what the Normal/bump map look like. Windows are/were supposed to be "concave".

The front side windows and door textures are beautiful, they're from the original model (I'll post them later in the texture collection thread). I think I will add a greyish variant later with a diferent layout.

I thought that extra plug in the tutorial was only for parking lots. Thanks for the input guys.

Steven H. Endermann likes this.
  17. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Those buildings you are working on looks awesome! (y)
    Something we are in need for our cities, good luck mate!

18. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Good News. I (finally) managed to import a model thanks to Pamascus and Mr.X.

Diffuse map is 2048 bit because 2015! The original textures from this building where big. 1024 looks piss poor up close, so I think I will let it as it is. 2048 bit diffuse map for LOD 1 and 1024 for LOD 3. What do you modders think? I've placed a couple on my bigger city and didn't notice any major slowdown (then again, I'm using the 'balance patch' sorcery).

cxl_screenshot_atica_0.jpg cxl_screenshot_atica_1.jpg

19. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

jep its looking nice
    and id say a 2048 is ok for your first mod, but you should change that in future projects.. not because of the hardware, but because of the crappy game-engine ;) but well, maybe in cxxl its no problem, well see :)
    PS: yeah it wont have a big impact if you use one single building with 2048 textures in your city.. but you can imagine if more or everybuilding had such big maps :D

anyway, great work (y)

20. Steven H. Endermann

That looks good!