1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Discuss Real Life Architecture, Structure And Sociology

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by kipate, Sep 29, 2014.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh, I am a bit sceptical when you say that you could have clusters
    of grids separated by large parklands. This in an exreme case holds also for New York,
    which in my opinion does not have the most attractive grid layout (Central Park
    is the only area where Manhattan Kids get to know what curves are :p ).

And well, you could make anything artificial, so also having artificial
    hills, lakes, to break a layout... So what I personally would
    prefer was a rule of thumb for one block unit within a grid layout.
    Adelaide also uses parks at the center of each block unit.
    So apparently, this was simple way to make the grud more attractive,
    are there any other examples.
    Another way I know was to make block units with garden space in the backyards,
    so that each housing unit has its own "park", though much smaller,
    but also much more personalized. That is e.g. given in some
    outer central parts of the city of Bremen, Germany...

2. kipate

kipate Governor

I am almost at the point where I would say go to your PC,
    start CXL, and develop some nice grid layout in your city :p

3. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am honestly no fan of the hardcore grid. Of course it's more effective in administration and less expensive, but it's simply boring.

I am fan of former fortified cities

Vienna:

Vienna-Plan-1860.jpg
    Cologne:
    B6ln_altstadt_nord_stadtplan_aus_der_vogelschau_historisch_gerhards_stiche_1b5b157190_600x450xcr.jpe

4. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Honestly I also donĀ“t like grid like cities, they are quite boring. I like the european-style layout cities.
    BTW Vienna is really an awesome city (y)

5. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I try to avoid straight-up grids in my cities. Even in Midwestern/Great Plains US cities, there's always some deviation in the road layout.

But overall I think grid cities are better in a purely functional sense. I do think twists and turns of European streets can be quite scenic but are hardly efficient. On the other hand, good mass transit and regional rail systems do make up for that.

6. veija2

veija2 Mayor

A purely grid city is an ugly mess, I agree. Sometimes I think we are talking apples and turnips. Maybe in our discussion we'll want to define a grid based city. kipate?

In my opinion, large parts of Vienna are very grid like. And yet it is an undeniably beautiful city. It's #71 in population density world-wide, with 4002 residents per square kilometer (sq km). It has a terrific bike-share program as part of it's exceptional public transportation. Only 25% of trips made in the city are by car. Which maybe why that it has very minimal traffic concerns compared to cities with similar size and density.

vienna1.png

For example, London, with a slightly higher population density (#43 at 5354/sq km) has more cul-de-sacs and dead-ends in the city proper than it has through streets. Although it's double decker buses and the Underground are well known, London is considered to have poor public transportation. And it suffers from major traffic congestion.

london1.png

Maybe another day I'll start a new thread to keep looking at cities in this vein (Amsterdam was interesting). :sneaky: But for now I'll just say that I'm looking at road infrastructure (grid vs. non-grid), public transportation, and population density as three inter-related aspects to the success of my cities.

And by the way, all these cities are tinker-toy compared to places like Dhaka, Bangladesh, which is #1 in population density at 39,760 /sq km. it looks like a semi-grid city with major parkland interspaces surrounding an unplanned old city area.

dhaka.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population
    http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/largest-cities-mayors-ad.html
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londons-public-transport-rated-among-worst-in-europe-6739731.html

7. kipate

kipate Governor

For sure we will want to define a grid-based city, and you brought up some
    interesting example of Vienna I'd personally not have considered to be grid-like at first sight,
    but with the deeper look at it, there is nothing else for me to do then to agree to
    your analysis.

I was a bit confused when you said that we're talking apples and turnips;
    first, because for me as a non-native speaker, I only have a slight clue of what you
    wanted to say; second, as I interpreted this "apples and turnips" saying as
    Ladies and Gentlemen that don't talk in a straightforward way about a certain topic,
    but are rambling and digressing, I was confused when you started with a
    quite good suggestion, brought up a good example of Vienna, but then did not
    see anything regarding a possible relationship between e.g. road layouts
    and inner-city traffic congestions (and really, I do not have the slightest intention
    to offend you :) ).

Am I right that you wanted to state that grid-like cities with rather a lot
    of intra-connected roads are superior over cities that have a lot of dead-endings
    and cul-de-sacs?

I would directly agree to this statement, but I'm not sure about the overall superiority
    of grid layouts.
    If we take a rather widespread grid-layouted city, without even diagonally running streets breaking
    the grid, as it was given for some American cities, even for New York when you move upwards
    to Midtown Manhattan, one could say that a grid city will be a rip-off for its inhabitants.
    So Manhattan was a good example for what could happen when you overkill the grid:
    no one really uses a car there anymore as a resident, you mostly have taxis driving through it
    (see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan#Infrastructure).
    Furthermore, the city government had to invest heavily into extensive underground
    networks, to come up with the people's need for fast and frugal travelling.
    For the few cars, complex solutions were built, see the many tunnels and the even more complex
    transition systems. So at least, partially, I do disagre with people saying that the grid was the most
    efficient road layout. Go for some medieval rooted European city like Cologne is,
    and you will notice that many roads at first sight may not follow a strict geometrical order,
    but when you take a deeper look, you will find them to run almost directly from A to B,
    which is, if I'm correct, still the shortest connection between two points :p
    Of course, you nowadays do not find the roads quite useful, as the former point may have been
    a meanwhile urbanized rural landscape in front of the oldest parts of the city,
    but sometimes, and not that rarely, you will still benefit from that scenic street layout,
    especially using a car.

So we should still be clear about how we imagine grid layouts to be like:
    are they truly extensive, do they have large connector roads as feature of the plan,
    are they planned with thought regarding future living (well, we all know that the answer
    here will most likely be "no"), this just for traffic problems, not mentioning
    some mental aspects (e.g. like "can I identify with a plain grid, or do I want to
    live in a city that was created rather than it was just planned?").
    So, yes, maybe we do find some more real-life examples for successful grids
    in all manners :)

8. veija2

veija2 Mayor

kipate you make me chuckle. Thanks for reminding me to get to the point already. I tend to leave much implied rather that stated out right, so sorry if I was unclear. Grids are not an efficient road layout for automotive traffic. Superblocks are the most efficient at that - multi-lane, very wide thoroughfares around an area that is pretty much self-contained.

superblock.jpg

Just judging from Googling London, I'd say a lack of good thorough-fares adds to its traffic problems.

9. kipate

kipate Governor

Yes, superblocks, "don't mention the devil", says the pedestrian :p
    Superblocks in general may be the most car-friendly solution,
    but the lesser number of possible entries to the inner inhabited area
    makes you depend on free surrounding expressways,
    which will not always be achieved in larger cities or even in the wider
    metropolitan areas...

10. kipate

kipate Governor

Here some idea of how to overcome
    all the problems with the common grid,
    yet just a sketch and not totally outworked, though...
    k_s_01.jpg

11. prismaticmarcus

prismaticmarcus Unskilled Worker

my first reaction to this is that there's too much road in relation to the area being serviced. know what i mean? e.g. the roads that you have 'small roads' pointing to. those roads seem superfluous. and i can't imagine drivers loving the 5 way intersections.

12. kipate

kipate Governor

Yes, you're right, having 5 or 6 way intersections was kind of bad for car drivers...
    Maybe we can have each of thr 2 vertical running streets to be one-way roads,
    so the people driving right to left would need to drive longer
    (or vice versa in Downunder), and you could mirror it maybe for another set of
    streets running that way. But all in all, it would become a rather 4 way intersection,
    as usual...

13. kipate

kipate Governor

Okay, so I think we should go on a bit and not rest with just one topic
    and try to find more knowledge where there is none...

To sum it up, you maybe agree with me that grids in the past have been
    a cheap solution for city planners, but within the following centuries,
    as traffic forms had changed, the grid itself had become superfluous;
    it neither is that car-friendly (better: superblocks for example), and given
    an extensive grid without street hierarchy, it will be a horror for the ones who live there...
    Furthermore, it does not take into account topographical highlights, which will
    lead to situations where you have steep streets that will be dangerous for pedestrians
    as well as for car drivers in the winter, given the city lies in a zone of moderate climate.

Also, as the example of Manhattan shows, there can be an overkill of a grid
    layout such that it will reverse the car vs. public transportation relationship...

On top of that, grid layouts often look boring, and I tend to say that their
    inhabitants at some point in their life won't identify with this boredom anymore...

To overcome that boredom, mostly parks will help that are placed within the grid blocks,
    seen in Adelaide and Savannah. Furthermore, planners should take into account topographical
    highlights rather than put concrete on them...

So, if you want to add something, you can of course go ahead, we live in a free community here :p

Just for the next topic, what would be your wishes?
    I have noticed the urge to also share your experiences regarding the places you have been living in
    (is that correct, or do I have to use "were living in" instead; I'd say that "were living in" allows
    only for things that happened in the concluded past, so that it would mean you do not actually
    live somewhere in the present, whereas "have been living in" allows for both, without
    emphasizing past experiences as much as I'd have wished for, though...).
    Anyways, as already mentioned in some posts before, we could maybe put your urge
    to share experiences under the headline of "Living in Widespread Towns vs. Living in
    Narrow Cities", and later discuss the advantages and disadvantages, or even discuss
    them within your statements about the experiences, as some of you will have changed
    locations from large narrow cities to widespread towns and vice versa, too...

Comments?

14. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I'd like to dig into intersections. But I think we should do that in a different thread, as you suggested earlier, kipate.

15. kipate

kipate Governor

Maybe we should have a poll?
    If that was possible...

16. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I think you were on the money earlier, kipate, about keeping this thread focused on the grid. I'm pretty sure there's lots more to say, and a lot of XLN member who have comments. Plus in the future, I can go to one thread to read grid comments and another to read comments on intersections, etc. Just my preference though.

I just found a very thorough article on Wiki about the "fused grid." It seems that the use of the superblock has a name - the Radburn pattern. The fused grid, a hybrid of the grid and the Radburn pattern, is exactly what people have been suggesting in this thread as a viable alternative to the plain old-fashioned grid.

fused grid.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_Grid#Development_and_Lifecycle_costs

17. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I vote intersections. :bored:______:bored: In a new thread.

18. kipate

kipate Governor

Just flew over that "Fused Grid" article... Starting with
    "Aristotle, a pre-eminent philosopher...", I knew I was on the right
    way to end up in oblivion...
    Seems like we found a winner with that form
    of the "Fused Grid", though the creativity is rather shown
    in a locally public area than in the direct public area...
    But I still like it!

So, as I said in the first post, I intended this thread
    to cover a lot of parts; and yes, like any radio moderator,
    I need to do tough choices to keep the audience attracted.
    Thing is that if I only talk about grids, one will lose it after a while;
    not because there was nothing more to talk about, but rather
    because it was too hard to explain your thoughts straightforwardly,
    we would need to write research papers about that field
    sooner or later, the more we got into that theme...
    Of course we all like to do so, but I don't think we have the time
    to do so (maybe some architects and urban planners here have already
    written such articles, but I would still say it took them lots of time
    just to add the smallest things).
    Maybe I can ask IcyHot to open another sub-forum regarding our interests
    to exchange thoughts about real life problems regarding urbanism.
    Then I could leave this specific thread here open for grids
    and we could switch topics like we wanted to :)

19. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I almost posted a warning along with the link to that article, heh heh. It is very over-written, and I think it misses the mark on some of its conclusions, like about costs. But the info's there if people are interested.

If you think the topic of grids has run dry, I'll follow along wherever you take this discussion. You've had a lot of good comments. I don't think subtopics are necessary, though. A new thread will do the trick.

20. kipate

kipate Governor

Just asked The Funky Monk (and maybe later will ask IcyHot, as he is the admin)
    whether it was possible ton have a new sub-forum in the part "XL Nation",
    where we could easily post and find such threads like this one here and then switch
    as we wish to. I mean, it can be possible that someone new comes up in 2 days and
    has good suggestions about grids, but then we had moved along.
    So I agree with you and will wait for a response...