1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Possible New Game: Cities Xxl?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AzemOcram, Nov 14, 2014.

1. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

L
    Lets hope you are wrong! Would be nice to continue 'our' present going of modding.

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

indeed I think everyone feels the same.

3. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

FHI should be aware that non compatiblity will surely be a bad commercial move.
    Many people will stick to older version, where, apart from lag, they have a better game.
    Personally, i'm not sure i'm going to buy it, at least until previous mods and cities can be loaded.

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, but we would "just" need a new UIM, nothing else,
    to bring over mods onto CXXL, or am I wrong?

5. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

I'm not sure, but in theory i think that might be the case. A new UIM based on the new XXL interface and with all tags included in the current one we use for 2012 or platinum.
    Nicko said he is confident Altiris will work on that. So i really hope FHI makes this possible, even if it would need to be done by community.

6. Jasonr71

Jasonr71 Unskilled Worker

By all means, I'm not suggesting that all mods are going to wreak havoc with the new version causing it to crash. However, if you've been playing Cities XL from when the very first version was released, I'm sure you would agree, and I'm certain that most of us have experienced similar issues, where by a number of mods for some reason would clash with other mods or with the application itself.

I'm not being negative or having a dig a modders, I've had several awesome building mods that unfortunately would clash with other mods, and would cause previous versions of the game to crash, that's all!

The main issue with some of the problem related known mods, is that if the creators of these mods are no longer around, and other modders are not too sure why the mods are either corrupted or clashing with other mods in the game, the mod is better off being removed from the site, and the site's administrators can place a brief note on the page where it was once downloadable, leaving a quick explanation in relation to its incompatibility with other mods or the application itself!

The site is already well organized, and when modders upload their content to XLEX, they will always leave a brief explanation as to whether or not their mod is or isn't compatible with another mod anyway. However if the original modder is no longer managing their problematic mods by patching it and updating the previous version on this website, many end users will download the mod, place it within the game's mod folder amongst all the mods they have, the game crashes, and if they've placed a large number of new mods at the same time, it's like looking for a needle in hay stack to find the perpetrator!

Although many of us with a lot of computer experience, can locate the mod in a short time, by viewing the mods by date and remove the mods that were part of the large download.

It's just going to be even more of a nightmare with the new version, if a lot of new gamers come on board, and the poor buggers run into problems with the mods I'm referring to as being problematic!

I apologize for the large explanation, I suffer from a mental disability and I don't know half the time if I'm repeating myself! :yawn:

AzemOcram likes this.
  7. Stevo

Stevo Skilled Worker

FHI have said there is a gameplay video coming soon in a reply on their Facebook page.

8. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

When all is said and done each of us will decide if the update and changes to XXL are worth more than the mods currently only working on Cities XL, at least in the short term.

I think Cities XXL needs to be judged on its own merit as a stand alone product. In time mods will be updated

9. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

This game has been kept alive due to the fantastic modders we have around. If anything else, this series doesn't match the standards we can expect from the tech available nowdays. I guess multicore is something that gaming industry did assume.

Maybe there's a point when you need to break things, taking that step forward from the devepoling perspective. But then i would not add a letter to it's name. Going from cities XL to cities XXL would imply some level of continuitty.

It's fair enough that people who has been working hard on their cities/mods can get the most of a revamped engine. Building fantastic, different, strange cities...whatever, is what's this game is all about!

FHI did link to some urls stating this will be mod friendly. Great, but maybe this could be perfected to active sites or even proper links.
    FHI is just lacking the spirit! Strange people i would say, having in account they own the game!

The best way they could advertise this game would be showing off the real wonders i've seen around this site, actually the only one really making justice to the series.

And that's exactly where they miss to be the reference of the genre, surpassing the outdated look of any city builter around, including the ones announced.

Also a long post, but i really whish FHI could take this kind of thoughts into consideration.

10. Rene

Rene Executive

WE NEED a total rework on our mods when CXXL comes out, but the site must not forgot Skylines.

11. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Skylines will be fully supported here in terms of Forums and its own unique Resource Category for modifications. We will not be like SimCity Fanboys where the only game worth playing was released in 2003 and everything else is crap. I hope we are little more enlightened here at XLNation.

Our computers have room for more than one city builder. Skylines is more simulation, while Cities XL is more design. My brain is big enough to handle both.

gettheninjas, kipate, Stevo and 3 others like this.
  12. Rene

Rene Executive

thanks Icyhot.

13. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

Well, the official xxl site claims that modding will also be easier with support of another file extension type. l cant wait to play my 6 million inhabited "Laires Metropole" city without lag!!! I hope they put in a "you drive it" as an avatar so you can drive around the city.
    Can the avatar be modded anyway?

14. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

What about steam? Have you ever bought some game with them? Do you think it's better to buy the game on steam or...?

15. Stevo

Stevo Skilled Worker

I'd like to know if the game is available in a DVD hard copy. SimCity 4 Deluxe and CXL Platinum are the only PC games I have. Both bought on CD/DVD. I don't know anything about Steam. I'm not sure I trust it. I'm happy to wait a few weeks and pay full price for XXL if I can have a DVD version. But if mods are Steam only, then I may have to reconsider.

16. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Mods won't be steam only. If they are I'm giving this game the arse.

As for steam itself. I use it and it's quite good. Over the yearss I've lost or damaged many cds/dvds, now with steam I can reformat my computer and just redownload them. It's pretty handy.

17. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

If I inferred correctly from the information shared thus far by Focus, existing mods that are not to be used on steam can use .PAK and .PATCH while Steam mods will use a new file format.

--Ocram

18. Trolca

Trolca Executive

I'm a little confused.

Will there be other ways to buy Cities X.X.L. other than Steam?

Why would they use different file extensions just because the game is bought from Steam?

19. Jasonr71

I'm with you ya on that one! Some dude had ran down Cities XL on Steam which he's entitled to his opinion, but I don't think it's fair that he should be telling people not to purchase Cities XXL because the game never had support, and was unplayable because it was full of bugs!

Now I agree with him that the previous version did have some frustrating bugs, one in particular was when you built a massive city, the application couldn't handle the amount of memory that was needed for extremely large cities, and there were a few other issues.

However in saying, I don't think it's fair to judge a game that hasn't been released as yet, and especially when the game is addressing the biggest issue of all, which I mentioned above, and that is the ability to build massive cities now that Cities XXL has a new and improved powerful game engine.

In relation to The Funky Monk's comment, "If mods are steam only, I'm giving this game the arse", Many of us within the XL nation website community won't be happy if Focus lets Steam dictate to the devoted Cities XL community how and where we have to download mods for the game.

I responded back to the dude's message, the one who was telling people not to buy Cities XXL or the Platinum version, by advising new gamers to Cities XXL to have a good look at the XL nation site and you'll just how much fun Cities XL is if they're like me and love the limitless capabilities of building beautiful cities.

All people have to do is look at some of the screenshots of the cities that some of our talented gamers have created, and they'll be blown away from the amount of detail and variety of building and objects that can be placed within any of the cities!
    I also mentioned that if they visited the XLEX link, they would see all the amazing mods created by our devoted Cities XL modders, that make the game 10 times better, giving the gamer plenty of inspiration for building their own great cities!

I've been a member of Steam for a very long time and it's great, but the community workshops for a lot of the games aren't as good as the individual fan sites! In fact a lot of them leave a lot to be desired compared to independent dedicated game sites such as xlnation.city! This is what I mentioned on the comments page in Steam, as well as explaining that the xlnation.city website is where a majority of the devoted fans, modders and a great team of website moderators run this awesome website specifically dedicated to the world of Cities XL, Platinum and the up and coming XXL!

Pamascus27 likes this.
  20. Jasonr71

You can purchase any of the Cities XL games from the official Focus Cities XL website ( http://www2.citiesxl.com/ ) under the Shop link