1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

The "Gonaives[戈纳伊夫]" City Building Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, May 27, 2015.

1. nicknick

nicknick Governor

wow

2. kipate

kipate Governor

a little progress, I do not really think that I will finish the city:
    gamescreen0060.jpg
    gamescreen0061.jpg
    gamescreen0062.jpg
    the 15m streets next to are mostly thought as placeholders, to be replaced with forest later.

3. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

4. nicknick

nicknick Governor

lol me too, although i have managed to make 6 good shots. . .

Let's remember it's not a complete journal we are posting at the end, but just 10 photos.

I was a bit wow-ed some days ago when i decided to play with the map, it's a fantastic map. . . not enough time really, so what i think is to post what's available according to the comp's requirements. . . till end of Aug. Then all luxury of time will be given during fall to complete it.

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Im having trouble getting mine done as well. Too many other things are getting in the way of my game time. Im currently working on a arcade cabinet for a friend. I've been learning mame for the last few days.

6. veija2

veija2 Mayor

cxl_screenshot_papillon_24.jpg Eight hours of game play later - harbor is half done.

Is everyone pulling out then? Nah -

Thomas Springer and kipate like this.
  7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Not going to pull out. Even if I dont get all of mine finished, I still have enough for 10 pictures :)

8. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Me too :)

9. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

Are the contestants allowed to manipulate the terrain? I like the map but I reckon that it lacks elevation so I built a couple of additional canals and waterfalls. It would be hard to avoid massive repetition when filling up the great plain :D

10. kipate

kipate Governor

Of course terraforming is allowed. I myself flattened the hills in the north
    to build a runway for the airport there :p

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Never any problems when flattening terrain (XXL 2015) but always a crash when I try to raise a lot of terrain.

12. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Try this if you haven't already, raise a road to a desired height, and enclose the area you want to raise with the road or path, then use absolute flat grass texture by Realcity,Its cheaper as well, remember this will flatten the land to the lowest point of the road or path, then just delete road or path first, then the texture last,

13. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Interesting, I haven't used the flat grass, texture yet. I'll give it a try.(y)

14. kipate

kipate Governor

@veija2 : Very nice and compact harbour! Maybe some more container terminal,
    i.e. crane stations, though?
    But maybe I am just overly critical, though :D

@Clemech4 : looks awesome! And very realistic, except probably for that perpendicular
    roads, had expected some more chaos, but I understand that it is hard to achieve in the game :p

Anyways, it seems like I somewhat found one of the reasons that keeps me away from progressing
    as quick as I had wished: too much micromanagement :D :facepalm:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

Miguel and veija2 like this.
  15. nicknick

nicknick Governor

That's wonderful. . .

First one reminds me a bit of Warschauer Strasse in Berlin, albeit more clean and more tidy done in your city, hehe :) . . .

What about the next one? Community garden? Wonderfull too and cleverly done, both the in-game and the real world pic.

(y)

16. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you, yeah there are "griddy" districts it's not only to be built faster, there are also this kind of district in Dhaka or Chittagong :) btw your city will certainly be amazing :D

17. kipate

kipate Governor

Thank you, nicknick, for the kind words.
    Some explanation about the park and the urban garden:

I have always liked those Indian Summer pictures of New England Cities, and this my city is also
    an approach to bring in this topic into the game; and well, the timing is probably just right :p

I also plan actually to make these kind of community/urban gardens on a larger scale;
    this little one you can see here more looks like the result of that area having being inactive and fallow.
    So people decided to place some gardens there to plant vegetables. By time, the city finally
    re-activated the construction site, and one does not know anymore whether the urban garden
    will have a chance to stand...

Thank you, too!
    And yeah, I had checked that "griddy" layout with Google Maps, you are right, some areas are truly griddy
    in Bangladesh's cities.

18. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Maybe, but I'm good with the current capacity of 2050 - see it now that it's done (except for any tweeks, of course.)

cxl_screenshot_papillon_26.jpg

@skullz613 and @nickinick - glad you're still in. I know you both are gonna do something awesome.

Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  19. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Still in. . . thank you :)) i appreciate it :)

20. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

2 weeks left and it's not even 40% finished :/

Register or to view Spoiler content!

kipate and Mr.X² like this.