1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Your Cities- Post Some Photos Here!

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by kipate, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Kurtis Edwards

wUfSJvx.jpg

Here is the current city project I have going. It's name is River Rouge and it's being built on the Gloucester map.

terence_30 likes this.
  2. Kurtis Edwards

Here is some progress on my city River Rouge. Enjoy!

x8lzkkE.jpg
    C3Aaaut.jpg
    ExwvJPb.jpg
    THgkTtc.jpg
    a1jrP6Z.jpg
    RqcywKk.jpg
    HhfGSRg.jpg
    Flp14uT.jpg

ezekiel, Miguel, terence_30 and 2 others like this.
  3. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

For now, it is very successful!
    I like all the little details

4. kipate

kipate Governor

@Kurtis Edwards :
    Looks very good and very structured so far, some observations by me:
    (1) the buildings you chose for several districts often are parts of completely different styles,
    this makes those districts look a bit like being formed under gingerbread architecture:
    C3Aaaut.jpg
    That plaza in the left foreground especially looks like this: you have structures of eight very different styles
    around it:
    the glassy post-modernistic building, the futuristic looking small residentials (by Nogerivan), that Gothic church, then that Victorian Age Post Office, the Neoclassicist Smith Tower, that German Greek Revival Library,
    the Court, and then the German Pack 1980s buildings.
    I do not say that having those buildings all within your city was a bad idea, I do only say that it may look odd seeing them all next to each other.
    (2) the industrial complex probably should not have greenery in between.
    (3) for that huge sports complex with all the stadia and halls, a highway exit close by was probably a good add-on.
    (4) totally depending on the size of the airport and the probable connection to the city via public transportation:
    the highways leading to the airport could have more lanes. As said, depending on the size of the airport.

5. city fiend

city fiend Elite

I personally don't think that the mixture of buildings is odd, come to any modern nation like Australia or the US and you will see this type of mixture of buildings all the time.
    A lot of churches in Australia are in gothic style, also mixed with modern glass and victorian and edwardian architecture. Also not many modern nations cities have separate old city and separate new city like a lot of Europe. Generally modern nations (like Aus & US) tended to demolish old buildings to be replaced with new glass towers side by side with gothic, victorian etc.

The upgraded city hall in this game is basically the Sydney city hall, in real life that building is surrounded by skyscrapers, and every now and then an old victorian shop or church, a gothic cathedral sprinkled in too.

But you are right about the industrial area, some green around some edges to make buffer to residential area is all that's needed.

Kurtis Edwards likes this.
  6. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, as said, I was not saying that that buildings should not be used,
    I rather said that the number of styles to be found at one specific plaza
    made it look a little odd; also, no offense, but the number you called was
    four or five (not eight) different styles, which I do agree can be found often at one place.

7. Kurtis Edwards

My industrial area is completely separate from residents.. there's a train yard in between. However, I do go back and forth with the greenery around my industries. I just hate the way plaza look when just used as filler. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am explicitly going for US/Canada/Australian/South African style city building.

8. Kurtis Edwards

1. Kip, yeah the airport and city are not to be huge. I agree, if the airport was going to be more substantial I would have increased the highways. But, I don't ever actually build over 3-4 direction lanes of a highway. I simply don't like the way it looks in the game.

Most important to me is getting the runway at a realistic length (something i am overly critical of other people about) Mines 3.5 - 4k meters, which should accommodate most airliners. My city isn't 'international' so it doesnt need to take on the biggest planes.

2. The sports complex isn't a sports complex, it's a university. I am working getting the angle of photos just right to have the area show more as a school.

I wish there was a way to reverse the lighting for "midday" so I could pane to the opp. side of the school and not have it be shadowed. If I turn night on and then off all my streetlights stay on. I only take off angle/night pictures when I can quit the game afterwards.

3. I do battle with the greenery around my industry. I hate filling areas with plaza though, looks even more unnatural to me. I have thought a few times about editing.

4. I do not agree in the slightest about mixing styles or what styles should and shouldn't be used.

5. I am not going for all out realism and tend to like some heavily edited surrealism.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

9. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, if it is meant to be slightly surrealistic, then you can do anything
    with the greenery :p

10. Kurtis Edwards

Yeah, but I do agree with you and city about my industry area.. I have mulled over it as I build..

11. city fiend

city fiend Elite

Add industrial plaza and add lines of trees individually, maybe you would like that better. I do similar in my city, cause no industrial area that I've seen in my country has just concrete and asphalt. Quite a lot have landscaped gardens and trees in between the buildings.

But to be honest, just do whatever you like. You are building it for your own pleasure so don't listen to me :LOL:

12. Kurtis Edwards

Na, you're good City. I love feedback, if it's not subjective. Like I said, I am on the same lines of thinking as you.. there is just too much greenery around my industry. If it's minor things like we've been talking about I think I am on the right track for one awesome looking college town. Thanks.

Oh, I like your thoughts on mixed styles. I used London City Hall in this city.. If I remember right that sit across from the Tower of London in real life. That a pretty wild mix of style. In-fact, London is an awesome example of mixing old and new.

13. kipate

kipate Governor

Yeah, but that does not mean it always gives nice results:
    [​IMG]

14. Kurtis Edwards

If only "nice" was objective and not solely based on ones preferences. Thanks though, I will keep editing in mind..

15. sadiemydog

sadiemydog Executive

Please guys , don't be so neccesserly so exact with the area where the city is in a city builder. It look like the greatest and richest city in the world. I think people really get more than atlest 68,000 $. It look even richer than Sweden or Denmark. xD I should make them independend xD. I really love it has a tropical climate , sad that they don't have tropical trees as main forest. You should take more look and time in the XLEX or XXLEX and try to make it compartible with your version of Cities XL to. They are amazing mods like this one-->Ploppables - Camping Grounds | XLNation - Cities XXL. You should build campings to in youre city. It looks totally awesome with it. Great work @Kurtis Edwards keep up you're work. I should want to have a copy of city to , for making Streetview in youre city it looks so great.

16. Kurtis Edwards

I am not sure what ya mean by tropical. The map is Gloucester, UK and most of the in-game trees are conifers. I am solely using the European Park as my 'forests' because I love the shade of lawn the trees are on, plus most of the shrubs and flowers are on the same shade of lawn too. Thank you for the kind words. I do love this city so far. I do have the camping ground mod and about 800 others.. hahaha. The city is barely along... there will be much more coming.

17. samo_cibalia

samo_cibalia Unskilled Worker

Here is my European style city, work in progress, currently 300k inhabitants. cxl_screenshot_atwood_4.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_7.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_8.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_9.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_10.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_11.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_12.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_13.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_16.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_19.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_20.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_21.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_22.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_24.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_25.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_26.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_27.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_29.jpg cxl_screenshot_atwood_31.jpg

Miguel, Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  18. Franco Lucien

Franco Lucien Skilled Worker

Hey can I ask which mods you are using for your roads? Especially that expressway with free flowing ramps onto your highway... it's a 6-lane road and it also has different lanes designated for different traffic directions.

19. cancereatinroboworm

cancereatinroboworm Skilled Worker

here's a little something something for you city-lovers...
    cxl_screenshot_topolla ac_1.jpg

20. Kurtis Edwards

That's pretty impeccable! Great job. Very eastern seaboard to me.

Miguel likes this.