1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Your Cities- Post Some Photos Here!

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by kipate, Sep 15, 2014.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

That's what I call an awesome maintenance yard, even though it's not finished yet (y) But great work!

2. kipate

kipate Governor

By the way, here you can see how the different plazas support the whole atmosphere:
    gamescreen0814.jpg
    gamescreen0826.jpg

The railyard is not fully finished yet:
    gamescreen0812.jpg

And here you can see a combination of the tunnel by aitortilla and the warehouses by gbojanic in action (the industrial estate in the center) ;) And yeah, I modified the railways such that they do not have a foundation :)
    gamescreen0813.jpg

@Project_Oz here a little preview ;) Unfortunately, the park is not that huge, I only built parts of its entry (have in mind that the city continues after the map stops).
    gamescreen0822.jpg
    gamescreen0820.jpg
    gamescreen0817.jpg

3. chupobumbo

chupobumbo Executive

You modified even colour and there are no electric pillars. Those railways are awesome, perfect for my freight yard Could you share the patch file?

Can you also explain what did you do to put plazas over the overpass?

4. kipate

kipate Governor

It's an old mod by Altiris and Monty, never fully realeased. I changed some parts, though:

One, the width of the railway is changed to 9.99 metres instead of 10 metres. This allows that you can place railroads next to each other more easily. But when you want to place a rail crossing, you first have to place a railway bridge part, then the crossing, then some track connector, then the railway. It's really not an easy task :D But you can also stick to the railway bridge and just place it on ground level, that does the same task.

Second, there is no foundation, as said before :) Also, this mod only contains railroads with two tracks.

I did not place any plaza above the highway, I used a mod by @Clemech4 :)
    Ploppables - DomePack1 (the stoneblock)

Attached Files:

chupobumbo likes this.
  5. chupobumbo

chupobumbo Executive

Thank you for the patch!!!

PS: you put the stones one by one!!! You are crazy!!!:p

kipate likes this.
  6. kipate

kipate Governor

I'm just very patient :D

Also, @chupobumbo as always, please make a back up of your city before using the mod. As said, it was never fully released :)

chupobumbo likes this.
  7. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I'm sorry but I don't like such big airports and I didn't even look at what you built. On the other hand, I really like the train station. I like how you manage to build the curves on the roads and the railway lines. I am waiting to see how you will decorate the train station.

8. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

It looks very nice. I would have reversed the large building behind the stairs with the park in front of it. Now it seems strange to walk by the pier and see the roof of the building when you look down.

kipate likes this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

It does not look really strange. People will not walk along there for more than some seconds. So it's fine. And I would rather say that all the parking lots are annoying when you look down :D But they were built on purpose to show the dependency on cars.

10. kipate

kipate Governor

Full map! It's a large image, so be patient ;)
    Teaser_333.png

11. AngryComrade

AngryComrade Vagabond

Hi! Here are some bits of a city I've been working on. I'd say it's only 20%, since there's still a lot to cover, many history bits I'd like to implement within, too little free time and... I still lack some detailing skills... which I'm still learning/adapting/implementing whenever I can.

So... here we go... this are just some bits of my city Wasgol so far. Something experimental that will have a complicated history in its making, combining old and new, rights and wrongs, probably conflicts in its politics over the years, etc.
    Self-criticism in advance: Beach, costal, modern areas still on the way. Industrial, port and farmlands in the works. Main Airport still trying to figure out. Highways and general plaza/texture/planted areas need some extra care and rework.

Overview of how much has been made so far.
    1.jpg

General view of centerpiece
    2.jpg

Old industrial-revolution factory areas, repurposed for more housing
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

A bit of park, entertainment and sports
    6.jpg

Bits of the old and sites of rediscovered history
    8a.jpg

Perspective from the needle tower
    10.jpg

More arial perspectives
    11.jpg
    11ba.jpg
    11d.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg

A racetrack between the mountains
    14.jpg

The "Wall of tears" in honor and memory
    15b.jpg

A bit of communist influence
    16a.jpg

And that's about it for now. It's been so long and really wanted to make something at least as a new year's post only to evolve into a new year's resolution that maybe... just maybe... until the end of the year I might be able to complete at least 70% of this city. I love this game and the community that keeps it alive, and I won't give up on this beautiful creation process.
    Really willing to get the constructive criticism I need to make it even better. Sorry for the long post and/or emotional breakdown. :cry: Thank you in advance! Happy New Year, everybody!

kipate likes this.
  12. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Hi and happy new year! @AngryComrade

I'm glad you're trying to build on a map with mountains. I'm also trying to build a city on uneven terain, but I've kind run out of ideas and I hope you'll post again as soon as possible so I can be inspired.

About your city, I really like the racetrack. It's one of the best I've seen (minus the entrance) and I like how you tried to follow the mountains and the way you want to build the city around them. The sunked road and train lines i like them to. They show that you are a perfectionist. The custom airport looks good, although technically I think the control tower doesn't see the runways well.
    The cemetery is an interesting construction to (if it were up to me, I would plant some trees).
    The highway, although it seems as if you now learn to build them if you continue to build farms on one side and the other as you have built so far, I think it will look very good.

What I don't like.
    The road system makes no sense. You combine the size of the streets too much and I can't figure out which road you want to be the main road. In bottom left is the highways doubled or does the intersection stretch over half the map?!?! You have two intersections with the highway that lead almost to the same place of the port. At the moment, the highway intersections are too big, but this can become an advantage later, it depends on what you build around them.
    You try to combine too many styles of buildings and you use forest plaza too much. If I understand correctly, you build the downtown with skyscrapers then you have build a forest and then have you continued with the old town?!?! I would like to see a different transition
    The train station and the port are too big for my taste.

Suggestions
    I would try to highlight the mountains by using small buildings and small roads. To compensate i would use more bus and subway routes. I would not use skyscrapers and i would use only one or two buildings style. Try to define your main roads and the green spaces. Create parks with alleys, statues, experiment with combinations of different plaza styles, don't build a building and put a forest plaza around it. I would dismantle the port and build pieces of it on the entire left side, and in between I would build industrial buildings.
    Be careful how much trees you use. When the city grows to big, the computer will no longer show them. Try to limit their use.

kipate and AngryComrade like this.
  13. AngryComrade

AngryComrade Vagabond

Hi, @Project_Oz! Thank you so much for the feedback!

In regard to the building styles, my main idea would be how a city would evolve, taking into consideration its potential history and maybe political involvements along the way, having both rights and wrongs explained as if it was all because of decisions made during its history. Can't think of any particular example at the moment in real life, but one might be parts of Bucharest from where I'm at. So, for some parts, the mixed convoluted nature of it all is actually intentional, but I'll try to narrow them down a bit better whenever I can. Thou, I have yet to have parts of it that would be more clearly defined... Hopefully! Sometimes I have no idea and instantly have too many at the same time and can't be clear myself as to which one would be best to implement. o_O

The forests... yes, I'm well aware, for the moment I did not have any ideas how to represent these areas in a more realistic matter. I'll be tryin' to experiment with parks, statues, alleyways and also will try to define the mountains a bit better as well. Seen many inspersions around the site and I've yet to implement some for my own.

Also, I'm well aware of the road system not being well defined yet. Same goes with the highways. It wasn't well defined from the beginning and at least the old part of town would be intentionally irregular, but for the newer parts at least I'll see what can be done.

I will update at some point sooner or later... depends on when I'll actually have time to do anything! Besides making/remaking and completing what I have for now, I've yet to define a better industrial area, industrial port (west), beach-resort part (north), an independently made airport (east), maybe remake/redistribute the farmlands to be more along the highway as you suggested (south) and maybe expand more of the historical area this way... idk... Whenever I'll be able to... gonna need a lot of coffee and concentration! :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Sidenote: For now I don't worry about the PC's performance, but I'll take it into consideration.

Thank you again so much for the feedback!

kipate and Project_Oz like this.
  14. Razox

Razox Mayor

cxl_screenshot_kristiansand_0.jpg

Project_Oz and kipate like this.
  15. Razox

Razox Mayor

cxl_screenshot_kristiansand_1.jpg

Project_Oz, kipate and Ammar Shaker like this.